ISO 9000 and Total Quality: The Relationship
ISO 9000: What it is
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG (International Corporation for Standardization)
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000 is an international top quality standard intended for
goods and services
• Does not set any specs for quality.
• Sets broad requirements for the assurance of
quality and then for management's engagement
• May be applied to any company
• Entirely compatible with TQM
ISO 9000 is based on almost 8 principles:
1 ) Customer Focus: Understand consumer needs, meet up with customer
requirements, and strive to go over customer expectations.
2 . Leadership: Establish unanimity of goal and organizational direction. several. Involvement of people: Use talents of personnel for the main advantage of the organization.
4. Process way: Things accomplished are the benefits of processes and operations and solutions must be handled.
5. System approach to administration: Multiple processes bring about system and really should be maintained as a program.
6. Regular improvement: Of folks, processes, devices and
7. Truthful approach to making decisions: Decisions should be based on the analysis of accurate, relevant, and reliable data and information. almost 8. Mutually effective supplier human relationships: Both the firm and the supplier benefiting from every other's methods and know-how results in benefit for all.
INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000 and TQM aren't
• Although ISO 9000 built a great step towards TQM
with its 2k release, they may be not yet a similar.
• TQM is defined as a technique for doing business
that attempts to optimize the competitiveness of
a company through the constant
improvement with the quality of its procedures,
products, solutions, people, and environments.
ISO 9000 Standards
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000: 2005 – Quality Management Systems –
Fundamentals and Terminology
• ISO 9001: 08 – Quality Management Systems –
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9004: 2009 – Quality Management Devices –
Rules for Efficiency Improvements
Consequences of INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000
• Wider consumer acceptance of goods and providers
• Improved effectiveness and reliability of its operations
• Increased quality of goods and solutions
• Superior organizational efficiency and
Who came up with the standards?
• International Firm for Standardization Geneva
• ISO tech committee - TC 176 started in 1979
• Criteria created in 1987
• To eliminate region to country differences
• To eliminate terms confusion
• To increase quality awareness
How did ISO get started?
• 1906 -- International Electro-technical Commission
• 1926 - International Federation of the Nationwide
Standardizing Groups (ISA)
• 1946 London - delegates from 25 countries chosen to
create a fresh international organization " the thing of
which would be to assist in the foreign
coordination and unification of industrial standards
• 1947 -- ISO began to officially function
• 51 - The first ISO standard was published
Variations of INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000
• 1987 – First version of INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000
• 1994 – emphasized the good quality assurance via
• 2000 – wider applicability for companies that may
certainly not engage in creation of new items
• 2008 – brings clarification and improves consistency
with ISO 14001: 2004
• 2015 – Following version released in the next yr
What provides ISO Completed?
• Common format intended for telephone and banking greeting cards
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG 9000 which supplies a platform for top quality
management and quality assurance
• ISO 14000 series supplies a similar construction for
• Internationally standard freight pots
• Standardised paper sizes.
• Auto control symbols
• INTERNATIONALE ORGANISATION FUR STANDARDISIERUNG international codes for region names, currencies
What are the elements of the